Gardenboss.org is reader-supported. That means as an Amazon Associate we may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases (at absolutely no extra cost to you).
Today’s Common Gardening Question: How much water do grapes need?
The Answer: Grapes require between 0.5 inch and 1 inch of water weekly during the first two or three growing seasons. After they are well established (3 years old or so) you may get away with watering them just one or two times during the whole year (most likely when you are fertilizing them).
Related Video Answer:
How to Water Grapes
- Apply water directly to the base of the plant using a watering can, hose, or sprinkler system
- Direct half an inch of water to the root zone of the plant
- Allow the water to soak in to the ground completely
- Repeat the process if the soil isn’t thoroughly moist after the first half inch of H20
- Avoid splashing the leaves and fruits
Tips and Tricks
- Use your fingers or a moisture meter to keep an eye on the moisture level of your grapes soil
- Consider installing a drip line irrigation system if you have more than one or two grape vines
- Skip watering if there has been rain in the past week or two
- Apply extra moisture to your grapes if it has been extra hot or dry
- Mix general liquid plant food in with your water
- When the grapes are beginning to form and develop, start giving them half an inch of extra moisture each week
How Much Water Do You Give Grapes?
Grapes require no less than half an inch of water each week when they’re establishing themselves and an inch of each of water each week when they’re fruiting. Drip lines work great for water grapes, because the plants require little water and the irrigation system helps deliver the water right on target to the root zone (avoiding getting leaves and grapes wet in the process).
But, that’s just one side of the coin. And, everyone knows that coins have at least two sides to them.
You’ve heard our side of the store, now we’d like to hear yours. How much water do you give your grapes? Let us know in the comments section below!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Can you really only water grapes 1-2 times per year? I have some 10+ year old grapes in the yard (just bought this house). No idea how to take care of them!